[TowerTalk] Reflections, Tuners and Antenna Forum Talks

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Thu, 11 May 2000 11:26:57 -1000

Hi gang,  a few minutes ago,  I wrote, in part:

> Steve,  I just don't understand why using the acutal Palstar
> component settings would not be relevant.  All your assumed
> settings,  except for the inductor,  appear to be quite a bit
> different from where the "real" capacitors are sitting;  I assume
> the capacitors do have the 350 pF full spec. rating which the
> mfgr. of the Palstar tuner specifies.  Maybe I will go back
> and redo the input Z measure;  I could have messed it
> up!!

Just completed the remeasure;  sure enough,  it is
different now!!  No longer R = 50,  X = 8.

Have just measured R = 42,  X = 5,  vswr = 1.2,
this at the input of the tuner,  with the tuner
output connected to the feed line up to the antenna;
presume the output of the tuner is still seeing the
R = 17,  X = 11,  and vswr = 2.9.  Will check that
right now!

Just measured  R = 21,  X = 9,  and vswr = 2.3 or 2.4,
for the input Z conditions at the end of the feed line
here in the shack.

So a bit different,  but maybe not much.  Anyway,  with
out lab gear and conditions,  these measurements are
only worth "ball park"  discussion,  it would seem,  hi.
So now we have another "pair" of impedance measures
of a situation which is alleged not to have changed.

So,  for what ever the value might be to Steve,  or
others, am willing to measure more,  if any one or
Steve would want more!  Have certainly given Steve
more numbers than he probably would wish!!

73,  Jim,  KH7M