[TowerTalk] Use stainless steel with copper underground?

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@VRINTER.NET
Thu, 11 May 2000 22:12:13 -0400

Actually, ground rods should be spaced twice the amount of the rod in
conductive soil.  So if your 8-footer has 4 of those feet in conductive
soil, the spacing would be on the order of 8 feet rather than the 16 feet
the rule of thumb would indicate.  The problem, of course, is that it is
difficult to ascertain this parameter.  For this reason, when I was at
PolyPhaser, I suggested 1.5x as a good compromise.  So the 8-footers would
therefore be spaced about 12 feet apart.
73
Bob AA0CY

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Mark .
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 8:55 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Use stainless steel with copper underground?

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:53:14 -0600
From: "Larry Alkoff" <labradley@mindspring.com>

<< Because I want to have ground rods every 8 feet based on the rule of
thumb that ground rods should be spaced equal to the depth of the rods.  So
that would imply rods at 8 foot intervals along the length....snip>>

Larry,
As stated in past archives, I think the rule of thumb is to space the ground
rods at twice their depth, center-to-center. During a strike, they will
saturate a ball of earth for a radius equal to their depth.

--...MARK_N1LO...--