[TowerTalk] Walt Maxwell responds to Steve Best

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 08:22:15 -0400

> W2DU:
>
> The impedance one measures looking
> back into the matching device is entirely different from
> the impedance seen by waves reflected from a
> mismatched line termination on reaching the matching
> device when the forward waves from the source are
> present simultaneously. This is one of the many points
> Steve fails to understand, even after I've tried to explain
> to him with no success.
>
> Steve's Response:
>
> The impedance a traveling wave sees at the end of a transmission line does
> not change because of the presence of source voltage.

Walt is correct Steve.

You can not ignore the fact the source is supplying energy, no
matter how much you want to.

Shutting off the generator and measuring the impedance looking
BACK into the source does NOT indicate the impedance a
reflected wave sees.

Let me give an example. Yesterday I did a load-pull on a
transmitter. The source impedance, when the transmitter was
tuned to provide maximum energy transfer to a 50 ohm load, was
50 ohms. I found that impedance by slightly perturbing the load and
measuring delta E and delta I at both 50 and 48 ohms, and
calculating the impedance by delta E over delta I.

I reduced power to 1/100th of the initial power, and the source
impedance remained 50 ohms.

But when I "pinged" the source externally with no output from the
source, the impedance was nowhere near 50 ohms.

I have made hundreds of measurements, and haven't found
anything that flys in the face of what Maxwell wrote.

I also have not found anything that agrees with your theory. When
measurements agree with your theory, and disagree with Walt,
then I will quickly change my opinion.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com