[TowerTalk] RE RF Relays

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Fri, 12 May 2000 07:56:04 -0500

Surplus Sales of Nebraska had a nice new relay that was made for Collins. It
has two form C contacts, gold plated, and rated at 5KW ea.. The insulating
material is glass filled, I think. They used to advertise them in QST, and a
few years ago, they had hundreds of them in stock.
I parallel the contacts and use them to switch different antennas, but also
to  ground all the antennas when the big switch is pulled. Use the silver
plated braid from Teflon coax for flex connections, and slip a piece of
Teflon tubing over the top can also be scrounged from the Teflon rg-59) 12V
DC coils. I use dozens of them here. OK for use through 6M, and I've
recently built a remote switched preamp for 2M using one on the highpower
side for one of the EME arrays. will report on it's effectiveness on that
freq after testing. It is built into a special can I made to try to keep the
bump down.
They are not listed on their webpage as of today, but they might still be
available. Can't remember the cost, but seems like it was $11 ea if you
bought a dozen. Even a twice that price they are a good deal. Glad I bought
spares, if they are indeed all gone.

www.surplussales.com

K0FF