[TowerTalk]Tuner Losses & Bird ratings

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 15:02:15 EDT

In a message dated 11.05.00 13:20:19 Pacific Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:
<<  <<
 >  The most accurate way to measure loss in a tuner with different
 >  source and load impedances is to measure the temperature rise in
 >  the tuner, not the power levels. >>
 >
 >  . 73, Tom W8JI
 >  w8ji@contesting.com
 >
 > Right on Tom.  Basically, if a tuner can match the Z at the end of the
 > feedline (1:1 SWR is obtained at the input of a tuner), 100% transfer of
 > power occurs to the antenna less the losses in the feedline which are
 > predictable and the losses in the tuner as measured by the "heat test."
 > There are exceptions.  I had a load that the Johnson MtatchBox matched 1:1
 > but wasn't transferring all the power without getting warm--with 100 W as
 > the inductors were heavy.  With 1 KW I had arcing which tipped me off of a
 > problem but no apparent heating with short tests.

 For a low power test, if you placed the tuner in a styrofoam
 container and measured temperature rise in the box over a period
 of time, you could measure the power loss.

 Of course high power, as you found out, shows the problem right
 away.

 Most tuners can only dissipate 50-100 watts without severely
 overheating or failing, because that loss is concentrated in one or
 two components. So if you are running several hundred watts or
 more and nothing is melting, you can be sure efficiency is high.

 Arcing can be a different issue, arcing is not related to loss. It is a
 voltage breakdown problem. Arcing does not necessarily mean
 losses are high.

 73, Tom W8JI
 w8ji@contesting.com  >

Right on again Tom.  In the arcing across the variable Xc plates case, I
still had 1:1 SWR but comparison with another known reference antenna on
receive weren't what I though they should be.  Reversing the connections of
the differential Xc eliminated arcing, the RF ammeters read higher and I will
duplicate the test for an actual dB difference.  As I pointed out, it then
required less of the tank coil for resonance and 1:1 SWR which lowered the
peak voltages therefore no arcing with 1 KW.  Now the combinations produced
1:1 SWR and more output.--the desired goal.  This was a Johnson MatchBox that
I constructed with back to back rotary coils with a differential mechanism
between them so they turn in the right directions.  When I changed inductor
values I tuned a shaft and didn't have finger contact with the coil itself so
as to detect heat.  I will also do the heat test.  The conductors were fairly
large and transmissions were short so heating, whatever it was would be
minimal.

Switch contacts are usually smaller in surface area than the conductors they
are connected to and can heat even though the conductor doesn't.  Feel them
also.  They only make pressure contact and are another source of resistance
and heat.  With repeated heating there is evidence that the spring pressure
could lighten and that will cause even more heating.  The standard back to
back finger switches are adequate for receive signals as far as I'm
concerned.  I like those switches with big silver pads.  I have paralleled 4
decks of the light switches in tuner circuits to get the necessary switch
contact current carrying capacity based on heat tests.  Switches are
typically the RF current carrying weak-link in tuners.  I sometimes skip
contacts to increase the spacing between conductors connected to it.  This
reduces capacity coupling between them and increases the voltage needed for
arcing.  I wish I could show pictures of some of my modified switches.
Eventually I will have a site where I can do that.

The home made plug in 20M tank coil that got warm at one end due to a 50 year
old bad solder joint was detected only because I removed it right away.  I
did notice unbalanced currents in the RF ammeters in series with each lead of
the open wire and was a tip off something was wrong.  They balanced up when I
soldered the joint properly.  Note!  RF ammeter calibration can be off
between identical meters so reverse them and observe their readings.  In
commercial tank coils, there are pressure contacts created by the banana plug
not screwed tight. Sometimes they get loose and heat can be generated at the
pressure contact also.

Another source of heat is the 4 flexible fingers in the tip of the banana
plug are press fitted into the body.  Sometimes they loosen with use and it
gets warm with a KW.  I developed a process and practice of soldering the
banana plug fingers even if there is a tight compression fit.  I think they
are nickel plated and solder doesn't stick easy.  I spun them in a lathe and
filed the nickel off at the joint, heated it with a torch, coated with solder
paste and the solder flowed evenly over the joint.  Only a small amount is
needed and made a great solder joint.  I replaced the retaining screws with
brass ones that I had silver plated.  In the next silver plating session I
have In will silver plate the whole banana plug.  I plan to operate QRP
someday.  I have a copper coil 2' in diameter and 3' long with 3/4" tubing
I'm just dieing to use on 40M.

The heat test is a great test of tuner components and arcing suggests the
spacing is not wide enough. It also suggests the configuration used to obtain
1:1 SWR may just create excessive voltages (and currents)--try another one
and compare output and heat generation.  What I'd like is a small diameter
instrument that will measure temperature on contact.  I could get in there in
the tight spots like on switches and check for heat generation.  I use a lot
of tuners with big components and they can cover up an inefficient matching
configuration.  Use a low power tuner of the same configuration for initial
tests of heating and arcing.  With "Parallel and Series Tuners" using plug in
coils for a particular band, have about 3 with different inductance
values--even the next higher and lower bands The inductance of typical tank
coils may not be optimum for maximum output.  Flea markets are still loaded
with plug in coils at very good prices.

I have a balanced L tuner that I really like with 2 rotary coils using 1/8"
wire that don't even get warm with 1 KW on 10M feeding a 100 ohm balanced
coax load.  Balanced L tuner currents seem to be lower than resonant tank
circuits.

There are temperature patches machinists use that can be placed on components
for heat tests.  I'd start with 100 degree patches.

K7GCO