[TowerTalk] Mast for C-3SS

Eric Rosenberg/Jennifer Gruber wd3q@erols.com
Sat, 13 May 2000 16:03:39 -0400

I've read all that was posted here re:masts, but am wondering if
there is an alternative to the large, expensive 4130 masts that
have been praised.

My situation appears to be quite different than those detailed here:

6 foot roof quadpad with a C-3SS (27 lbs, 4.4 ft2 windload) and
a small (Austin) 1/4 wave 2m/70cm vertical.  The existing
aluminum 1-3/4" mast is 9 feet tall, of which ~5 feet is above
the thrust bearing, putting the antenna ~10 feet over the roof.
We've had 40 mph winds here this past winter/spring with no
impact on the antenna/tower/roof. I'd like to raise the yagi up
another 5 feet, putting it ~15 feet above the roof (which is
wood and shingles over an unfinished attic).

The obvious questions that comes to mind:  is it worth the
effort to raise the antenna another
5 feet; can I use an aluminum mast (And if so, what type?); is
it safe to have another 5 feet coming out of the quadpod, or
will I have to re-do the roof mount (by adding guys?)?

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC
wd3q@erols.com