[TowerTalk] un-Ground Rod Installation...sort of

Dale Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Sat, 13 May 2000 21:51:57 -0500

This afternoon, as we were taking down our chili cook-off team storefront
after another great Flight Operations Directorate Chili Cook-Off at Johnson
Space Center, one of our team members was working overtime trying to extract
one of those temporary fence posts (5-ft, t-bar stock, with the little nibs
to accept wire down the 'flat' side, and 3-4" 'wings' about 6" from the
bottom) from the ground. We use them with U-bolts to temporarily affix our
storefront to the ground.

Recalling the success I had installing some ground rods with only gallon or
two of water in our gumbo soil here on the Texas coastal prairie (tip o' the
hat to Madison, W5MJ, for the idea), I picked up a water jug, walked over to
my straining teammate and poured a bit of water at the base of the post.  A
couple of wiggles of the post and joila!  The thing virtually popped out of
the ground on it's own.  The whole takedown team stopped what they were
doing to watch the other four posts come up just as easily with the water.

73,
Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u