[TowerTalk] telrex

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 14 May 2000 08:21:15 -0400

> Hi. Anyone still using a Telrex 40M329.
> Do any of you think its worh putting lots
> of work on a rebuild plus some new aluminum
> and a Micarta insuator.   Tnx.73 KNT

Mechanically, my 40M-346 is about the worse antenna I've ever
owned. I just rebuilt it, and replaced all the flimsy .035" wall
aluminum in the elements with .058 wall 6061-T6. I also strutted
the elements to supports I added. Now it doesn't break every time
the wind hits 60 mph.

Electrically, the Telrex balun was rubbish. It was the Telrex voltage
balun with coax and a bit of #12 house wire. I junked the balun, and
wound an air choke from coax. Also, the director and reflector
elements were off a bit. I improved the F/B from a poor 15-20 dB to
over 40 dB by re-tuning the elements.

Don't let the name impress you, these antennas need a bit of work
to be good antennas by today's standards.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com