[TowerTalk] Ladder line insulators again

Jim Rhodes rhodes@willinet.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 22:03:47 -0500

I know that was 2 weeks ago, but I ran into an old friend tonight which
brought up the memory of the time he needed to feed an antenna WAY out in
the field, several hundred yard away from the house. Being the thrifty type
he didn't want to spring for hard line or even commercial ladder line. What
he came up with was 2 rolls of copper coated electric fence wire and a
couple boxes of poker chips. He made up a jig to hold the 2 strands of wire
the right distance apart, heated the wire with a torch and melted the wire
right into the poker chips. Quite colorful what with the red, white & blue
poker chips.
No, I don't know the dielectric properties of poker chips ;-)
Jim Rhodes KC0XU
rhodes@willinet.net