[TowerTalk] distance from control box to rotator

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Wed, 17 May 2000 09:18:18 -0500

Generally a long run like that is a problem, yes.
Not a problem exactly, but an issue that needs to be addressed. If you are
using an AC rotor such as HAM-series, a simple relay box may be needed. My
most distant (540') rotor is a Tailtwister, No way to get wires heavy enuf
for a run like that (no AFORDABLE way!).
I happen to have 110VAC at the tower (but you could run a cord). A simple
relay box with 24 VAC relays brings in a locally provided 24V transformer to
move the rotor left -right , and for the brake. The motor starting capacitor
was remoted to the towertop in a waterproof enclosure (could have easily
been at the base.)

A nice heavy transformer provides 24-28-32 volts, and normally I use the 24V
tap. When the ice gets heavy, or the breeze is a little stiff, I can tap in
the 28V windings, using another relay, and in my case I control that
function via the unused motor-cap terminals on the controlbox, and an added
toggle switch.
The potentiometer wires just pass on thru, and the added resistance is
balanced out when you calibrate.

DC motors (Prop-pitch, Orion 2800DC, HB etc) can use the same approach,
unless you are using a ramp-down feature, then it gets a bit more
complicated.