[TowerTalk] Cost of a medium big station?

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 19:53:54 -0400

The superstations I have been part of over the years did NOT set down,
blueprint, and then do some retail price orgy.

Always there were the deals and leads on some good stuff for free. I
helped build a lot of towers from W3GRF's PVRC surplus depot.
Connections to them that knew where stuff was paramount. There was a lot
of free labor, and often hand-made beams, etc. The camaraderie from
doing it this way was most of the fun. Kind of like a barn-raising in
Amish country.

The 70' boom monster 40 meter beam at W4BVV was from aluminum stock for
elements and large diameter irrigation tubing for the boom. Rotated with
a large prop-pitch, and selsyns at top and in shack. Main cost was the
tubing and all the ropes necessary to get it in the air. Ditto a lot of
the equipment. Homebrew 4-1000 amps. A lot of rigs brought in by the
operators for the multi-multi operation.

$100k?  100% High End Retail. Only for the unimaginative and
unconnected. What a waste.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA