[TowerTalk] KT36XA and tribanders from Dayton

KI7WX@aol.com KI7WX@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:05:45 EDT

The M2 flyer at Dayton lists **preliminary** specifications for the KT36XA.
Mike mentioned that he was still fiddling a bit.  He had an element on
display which had the nice M2 CNC hardware and showed the caps and linear
done.

M2-KT36XA
14.0-14.350
21.0-21.450
28.0-29.0

50 ohms/SO/239
3KW
Boom length / diameter 32' / 3"
Element Length  25' (there are 6 elements total)
Turning Radius 21.5'
Mast size 2" Nominal
Wind area 9.75 sq ft
Wind survival 100 mph
Weight / ship weight  48lbs / 55 lbs

Here's some gain and f/b numbers to give an idea of how it models.

10M     gain dbi    f/b db
28.0     9.8           25
28.6     10.5         28.5
29.0     10.0         20

High gain is 10.5, high f/b is 29 according to the chart

15M
21.0    9.2           19
21.3    9.5           24
21.45  9.5           19

High gain is 9.6, high f/b is 24

20M
14.0    9.1           17
14.1    9.2           26
14.2    9.3           21
14.3    9.4           23
14.35  9.5           18

Remember that everything above was noted as preliminary and could change.

Other notes:

FWIW, since I'm looking at tribanders for a three stack I spent a lot of time
being a pest to pretty much anyone that makes a tribander with a 24-35 foot
boom length.  All the fellows were fairly helpful so I'll thank them here in
this forum to let them know their efforts are appreciated.

Force12 showed the beginnings of a boom lengthener for the C31XR which will
help with side mounting for folks that want more than a single yagi on top.
Tom and Natan continue to suggest the C3 and C3e for stacks and have some
modeling data available to help people make informed decisions.

Bob at Bencher is changing the feed system on the Skyhawk and expects the
Skyhawk II to be ready for production very soon.

Didn't see anything new from Cushcraft (X7/X9) or Hy-Gain (TH7/TH11).

WX0B had some cool thoughts on how to get the most out of phased tribanders
and thanks to Jay for his time and comments on the topic. I'll leave it to
Jay to post his ideas on slewing patterns because I'll muck it up if I try.

Cheers,

Mark
KI7WX
ki7wx@aol.com