[TowerTalk] Tower/mast question

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 20:05:51 -0600

N4KG response follows question.

On Tue, 23 May 2000 11:32:38 -0400 Ted Sarah <w8tts@gwis.com> writes:

> I currently have a Glen-Martin hazer on a tower with a Mosley
> TA33-JR-N-WARC mounted just above a thrust bearing, which
> is about  3'  above the G-8000S rotor.  What I would like to do
> is add a mast to this, so  that  there is  an additional 10 feet
> above the top of the hazer thrust bearing, and mount the
> TA-33 at the top of the mast.  This would do a number of things
> for  me  including being able to adjust the height of the antenna
> a little, getting the antenna 10' higher without adding tower, and
> as I do now being able  to lower the antenna if there is a high wind
> warning.  Yes I know, the  wind  load on the antenna
> (96lbs at 80MPH) isn't much, but better safe  than  sorry.
>
> Now my questions.  Is it safe to go that high above the thrust
> bearing, which is a Glen-Martin, with a mast and antenna?
> And, I'm looking  at using 1-1/4" Schedule 80 pipe for the mast,
> is this over kill?
>
> TNX in advanced,
>
> 73 - Ted - W8TTS

You need a LOT more information to come to an exact calculation,
but my guess is that you are asking for trouble.

Your antenna windload (96 lbs at 80 MPH) times a 10 ft mast length
means that the 1-1/4 inch dia. mast must withstand 960 ft-lbs of
bending moment at the thrust bearing.  Do you really think a 1-1/4
inch pipe can stand up to that?  I often bend 1 inch dia pipe turning
in screw anchors with a 3 ft lever arm.

The bottom end of the mast must also support 960 ft-lbs of
bending moment.  How far is that end below the bearing?
If it is only one ft below, then there would be a lateral force
of 960 lbs on the rotor / mounting hardware.

The maximum bending moment for a solid rod goes up roughly
as the 4th power of the diameter.  This means that a 2 inch dia
solid rod is 6.5 times as strong as a 1-1/4 inch diameter rod.
For pipe, the formula is a function of the 4th power of the
outside diameter minus the 4th power of the inside diameter.

I wouldn't put anything more than a foot or so up on a 1-1/4
inch diameter pipe.

You really need to understand all the forces involved and
yield strength of your materials before extending your mast.

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.