[TowerTalk] Phillystran with potted ends

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:33:46 EDT

In a message dated 05/24/2000 6:19:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> I've been offered some Phillystran guy material that sounds like it would
>  work fine in the planned reguying of my tower. The only problem is, it's
>  portrayed as the type that requires potted ends rather than guy grips.
>
>  What are the implications of this?  I presume this is a process that
>  chemically bonds an end loop onto the main guy strand.  Is it hard to do?
>  Hard to get a high-confidence attachment?  Or basically no problem, except
>  a little more hassle?  Hassle I can handle....

     You've got the first-generation Phillystran with the old jacket. I don't
know if you can still get the potted terminations - you might want to get the
word out on TowerTalk, etc. if you need them. The potting resin is available
from Phillystran (215-368-6611) and I think I remember someone said that you
can use a fiberglass resin but I don't recall the details.

      DO NOT use cable clamps, Preformed grips or any other termination
hardware on this type of Phillystran.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC