[TowerTalk] 5 db required to see?

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Wed, 24 May 2000 16:48:48 +0000

I lost the original e-mail.  However, I believe it was W8JI who stated
one needed 5db type improvements to see much of a difference.

About 3 weeks ago I saw a presentation by the owner of Force 12.

His conclusion is that 2db is a BIG difference.  He had some decent
theoretical arguements and emperical contest data from 6Y5A which
supported this.  I don't think it was because he wanted to sell more
of his bigger antennas.

It appears at 2db one uncovers a whole new layer of people to work
(especially during contests) and many additional contacts on a given
band can be worked as a result.

My own meger experience is consistent with his conclusion.

By the way if you already own a 4 element monobander, getting that
extra 2db can be costly.  If you've already got stacked arrays, it's
very costly...

73 de Brian/K3KO