[TowerTalk] Hay Bale twine an affordable alternative from N0AH

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:33:22 EDT

I have used a lot of nylon parachute cord to guy my verticals, including the
80 4-square......and I have used a lot of the black guy rope you can buy at
HRO- or find at the army surplus etc.....but I ran into some information
about others with 4-squares using UV protected (130lb test) hay bale
twine......it is typically oarnge in color.......so, being in the hay
business, I decided to give it a try- and the stuff works great at a penny to
the dollar on well priced nylon/philystran type stuff........For $20, you can
get 8,000 feet of the stuff-

I've seen this twine sit under tons of hay for many moons, and looks brand
new by the time we get to it- It is a bit more difficult to work with, but it
seems to stretch a lot less in high winds-  for lighter antennas, like tall
verticals made out of aluminum, I think it is great stuff- (I''m using it on
my 52 foot aluminum verticals for the 80 meter 4-square) and you can use the
twine for a lot of other things- we use to mark our planting rows in the
garden etc......

If any one has had a bad experience with this stuff- I'd be curious to know-
73  Paul N0AH