[TowerTalk] 5 db required to see?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 15:20:38 -0400

Hi Brian,

> I lost the original e-mail.  However, I believe it was W8JI who stated one
> needed 5db type improvements to see much of a difference.

Depends on what the conditions of the test are.

If signals are strong, and we are judging without a direct "A-B" test,
we would be lucky to observe a 5 or 10 dB difference.

If signals are marginal, even one dB makes a world of difference!
One dB can be the difference between a readable signal and a
bust.

> It appears at 2db one uncovers a whole new layer of people to work
> (especially during contests) and many additional contacts on a given
> band can be worked as a result.

On 160 or 80 meters, a few dB certainly can, under the right
conditions, uncover a whole new layer of DX. That's why I have an
extensive ground system, and many large antennas, for 160
meters. Every dB counts when working someone who is right at
noise floor.

I'm not so sure that is as true on the higher bands, as a general
rule, because there is generally plenty of signal level to work
with...and noise is much lower. For example, ERP is almost
meaningless on ten meters once you are at the kilowatt level
because you are almost certainly far above the noise if the band is
open.

Not having a null at the optimum wave angle is probably more of
the problem, and a major reason for using a stack, than a few dB of
gain on higher bands.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com