[TowerTalk] 5 db required to see?

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 08:56:06 -0400

A reply to MANY (last post stirred up things...)   K1VR operated there.
THAT was fun, wasn't it....

As I said early on, personally I would spend money to get 2 dB, BECAUSE,
as others state, I hope to add that to other pieces of dB's here and
there to get something more like 4, 5, (gasp), even 6 dB over the old
setup before I am done.

In a given year, say, a new feedline, an antenna upgrade. 2.5 dB? It
WILL make some kind of a difference.

I reacted, as did others, to the term LAYER. I reacted to the word
SIGNIFICANT.

As to 0.3 dB, there WERE those that said 0.3 dB (all by itself) was
"significant". I would call the difference between Station B and Station
C in the prior post "significant" (being heard in EU 2 hours before the
crowd). THAT difference was ALWAYS there, always NOTICEABLE, by EITHER
end of the qso. Didn't take a meter calibrated to tenths of a dB to
figure it out. Translate forward in time: KC1XX, VE1ZZ...

The 0.2's 0.5's, and 1.0's, yes, and maybe even 2.0's in the dB world
are INCREMENTALS. VERY VALUABLE in a stack. That was, after all, how
W4BVV got to be Station C). He had a BIG stack of incrementals. No, it
wasn't JUST the monster 40 yagi. That was the crown, but it wouldn't
have played so on a 50' tower, or at MY Alexandria QTH, etc, etc.

73, and may you all exercise your 0.1's in the WPX. Hope to work you
from NY4A.

k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA