[TowerTalk] 5 db required to see?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 07:10:20 -0400

> Perhaps the focus is entirely wrong here. At some point, we're putting
> more than sufficient signal into the target area -- the only thing lacking
> is the ability to hear.
>
> Maybe what we need are low-noise, directional receiving antennas, not high
> gain, directional transmitting antennas. This would dictate more use of
> beverages or directional loops, even on the high bands, rather than longer
> / more yagis.

There is a station that has almost 50 receiving antennas spread
over 60 acres or more of area, including true multi-channel diversity
receivers that allow operators to listen in multiple directions at the
same time.

Some of the antenna systems can be used by multiple receivers
listening in totally different directions at the same time.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com