[TowerTalk] EZNEC 3.0

L. B. Cebik cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Sat, 27 May 2000 08:55:41 -0400 (EDT)

Dave's message asking about the new Windows version of EZNEC suggested
that a general answer might be useful, since I have beta tested the
program and hence have been using it for a while.

Roy has transported most of the features of the interface from the DOS
version into the EZW version.  However, as with all Windows programs, it
will have something of a different feel.  THe basic set-up is the same:
the main page variables open small boxes for entries.  Of course, Wires
and Loads and TLs are bigger boxes in spreadsheet-like formats.

Operation is the same--esentially a single frequency set-up so that the FF
button makes everything happen and yields a far field pattern as specified
in AZ, EL, or 3-D.  However, Wdws lets you have the main page, antenna
view, and pattern on screen at the same time--as well as the wires, loads,
and TL openings.  SWR and frequency sweeps are still special functions to
be set up, but now you can save the SWR curve to file, similar to saving
the sweep files.  CHanging the wires entry will also automatically change
the antenna view if it is being displayed.

There is a new simplified load entry covering series and parallel RLC
loads--plus a special trap entry option for directly entering the series
RL and parallel C without pre conversion on paper into strict parallel
form.

Among the new features is also the average gain test and a special way to
handle extensive notes you might like to save with the file itself.

The core is still NEC-2, but speeded up a bit in the 32-bit environment.
THe tapered element corrections are still there as is the 500 segment
limit unless you purchase the Pro version.

These are the items that have caught my attention--and every user will
differ in this regard.  But I hope it is useful to those contemplating
using the program.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    Tel: (865) 938-6335
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---    http://www.cebik.com
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /    e-mail: cebik@utk.edu
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||     e-mail: w4rnl@arrl.org