[TowerTalk] BX Foundation Dimensions

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 12:10:54 EDT

In a message dated 05/27/2000 7:56:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
clint@woh.rr.com writes:

> Rohn consumer catalog page BX-9 shows dimensions for a 3 foot deep pad
>  and a 4 feet deep pad. Why? I'll surely give it another 6 inches in
>  length and width and avoid another foot deep of digging if I can...

     Well, this is an engineering question and has to do with the overturning
moment of the tower which is determined by professional engineers at Rohn. If
in doubt, follow the LXC Prime Directive - "DO what the manufacturer says".

    OTOH I suspect that your proposed change may not be fatal to your
installation since you have the same amount of concrete in the hole and the
same amount of contact area with the earth. (Note - I'm not an engineer and
don't play one on television.) Check with an engineer before you make the
proposed change.

     What are you installing on this "TV tower"?

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech