[TowerTalk] Mobile antenna

Florentino V Encarnacion, Jr. geo_ah6bv@juno.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 15:56:21 -0400

Bill,

I used to live in a high rise condo in Honolulu in the 70's.  Since
external antennas were not allowed,  my only stealthy alternative was a
ballmount and stainless steel CB whip hose-clamped to a corner post of
my 17th floor lanai's aluminum railing.  Did not use any radials and the
whip was at about a 60 degree angle from horizontal.  I could only
operate during dark hours - I would unscrew the the whip before and after
use.  I  loaded the whip antenna on 20 - 10 meters using a small tuner
through approx. 15' of mini-8 and a 100 watt rig. I used to work Europe
regularly.  Undoubtedly there were many factors (height, height, etc. :-)
as to why it was a successful installation for me.

Hopefully what you have is a fiberglass CB whip, and not a VHF marine
radio whip. I agree - try it!

73,

George AH6BV / w1

On Tue, 30 May 2000 09:21:55 -0700 "George T. Daughters"
<gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> On 30 May 00, at 6:50, Bill Hawkins wrote:
>
> > The guy next door gave me a new (almost) marine antenna complete
> > with the factory coax, about 15 feet long.
> > The antenna is an 8 foot fiberglass whip and is exellent quallity.
> > I want to put a rig in the motor home. Wouldn't this whip do a
> decent
> > job with a tuner rather than having a tapped loading coil?
> > Would I have to have a coil also?
> > I mostly want to run PSK31 on 10, 15 and 20meters.
>
> Most marine antennas are vertical dipoles or collinear arrays
> designed for VHF use.  It's probably not a simple (marinized) whip.
>
> I don't think it would do very well on any HF bands, but... TRY IT!
>
> 73,
>
> George T. Daughters, K6GT
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW: