[TowerTalk] rf interference

Ken Barber kbarber@monmouth.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:18:47 -0500

Gary,
phones.&nbsp; I was exclusively on UHF and VHF and had no problems but
a friend of mine had several neighbors that complained about his HF operation,
so we put together a "bullet proof" TV set with filters inside.
owner that his TV repair man could filter his set and it would go away.&nbsp;
Later I found out that they didn't want to spend the money for the fix
but the compaints stopped.
set but it still had some interference.&nbsp; With binoculars we noticed
that only one side of the twin lead was connected to the antenna.&nbsp;
We told the homeowner that if he had his repairman run new twin lead it
would fix the problem and if it didn't, my friend would pay the repair
bill.&nbsp; The repairman fix worked.
because the complaints stopped.
own HF station.&nbsp; Everyone here has cable TV so there was no problem
with TV.&nbsp; I did get into my own telephone&nbsp; so I ran a ground
bus all around the shack and grounded every piece of equipment I had to
that bus.&nbsp; The bus ran outside to two 8 foot ground rods seperated
by 10 feet and that eliminated my phone problem.&nbsp; I checked with my
neighbor and he had a problem with one of his phones.&nbsp; I went to Radio
Shack, got a pack of ferrite cubes and wrapped as much telephone jumper
cable as I could aound the two cubes.&nbsp; I went to my neighbors house
and put it between his phone and the jack and it solved the problem.
I would probably buy-and-return, buy-and-return different units until I
found one that worked without interference, then I would demonstrate this
to my neighbor.&nbsp; I have found out from friends that if you take several
radio shack cubes and wrap them aound computer speakers etc.&nbsp; it eliminates
that interference problem also.
phones, TV's etc) were squeeky clean..... this is an absolute must.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Then I would go to the town, in person, and invite a town representative
to my house to demonstrate that everything is clean.&nbsp; I would also
provide the town with a copy of the FCC Interference Handbook which in
short says:&nbsp; Cost-cutting manufacturing techniques, such as insufficient
shielding or inadequate filtering etc....etc.... is the problem.&nbsp;
This is not the fault of the transmitter..... etc.&nbsp; etc...
non-confrontational attitude and try to discuss the problem and also give
them a copy of the handbook.&nbsp; Tell them you would gladly work with
their repairman to fix their problems.
does not allow you into his house, this works in your favor with the FCC,
because you are going more than half way to fix the problem.&nbsp; The
worst senerio is to let this fester until it gets to town meetings.
I have been more lucky than technically advantaged.&nbsp; I am not an expert
on interference solving.&nbsp; I do know that when you meet with someone
over a cup of coffee and explain how your set is clean at your house and
that you can demonstrate that it is clean and that the FCC Handbook tells
you and your repairman how to fix things, most of the air is out of their
sails and they get pretty decent about it.
My experience has been
several of the
before that
The