[TowerTalk] Oxidized copper

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:25:58 -0500

I have been having a terrible time cleaning up oxidized stranded copper
wire enough to resolder antenna connections.  Chemicals, sandpaper, you
name it...

I recall reading somewhere that copper oxides are conductive, which is why
copper house wiring doesn't have the same problems as aluminum does.
That being said, I'm wondering if you couldn't use a small copper split nut
to firmly attach two copper antenna conductors to one another without the
need for soldering.  I realize that the connection would tend to come apart
under tension, but purely for electrical purposes, would it work (at HF
anyway)?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database