[TowerTalk] Re: tt

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:29:35 EST

In a message dated 11/11/00 4:05:16 AM Pacific Standard Time, K0FF@ARRL.NET
writes:

<< A KERNEY or SPLIT BOLT is a copper or brass bolt that has a notch cut
 lengthwise  from the tip to the head. It winds up looking like a fork with a
 head and threads on the sides. Actually resembles an old time non-spring
 type clothespin.Two or more wires are inserted into the notch and then a nut
 is put on and tightened The wires are pinched together with great force and
 a really secure connection is made. Afterwards the whole thing is usually
 taped up.  This type connection is the usual for outdoor runs of large solid
 and even stranded wire. Sizes range from about 3/8" (bolt size) up to over
 an inch for really big wires. Most Home Depot type stores carry them in the
 electrical department.

 Happy Building, Geo>KØFF
 http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF

 > What is a split nut they are talking about to connect two copper wires?
 >
 > 73, Aloha
 > Ted Leaf, K6HI

Kerney or split nuts do a good job but I would not rely on just one--use 3 of
them.  I've used lots of them when I didn't want to solder for some reason.
However every time I checked them later I could tighten them even more--each
time.  Copper compresses and thenmoves eventually.  In also coat the entire
nut and wires with silicone grease.  k7gco