[TowerTalk] SNOW STATIC

Jim Rhodes rhodes@evertek.net
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:06:54 -0600

Once, more than a few years ago, I was playing around with an L-tuner for a
random wire. The thing was breadboarded on a piece of 2x6. Anyway, I walked
into the shack during a real snow storm and before I turned the lights on
heard a "crack- crack- crack". I looked over at that tuner and it was just
arching across the command set capacitor at the rate of about 2/sec. I
didn't even turn on the light, just stared at it for a few minutes, decided
that I didn't want to touch ANYTHING in the shack and left. Went to the
window & looked out at the wire antenna and the wire had about a 3 inch
coating of wet sticky snow on it. It was only about 18G wire & it stayed up
for about an hour before it broke from the weight. At the time all the rigs
I had were hollow state, so no damage there but it taught me that
lightening is not the only reason to ground unused antennas.

At 08:26 PM 11/11/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing or eliminating static due to
>snow?
>
>My normally quiet location (S2 noise level) has jumped to S6-8 because of
>snow. I SWEAR I can hear each snowflake strike the antena(s).
>
>Ron, KA9ALC
>

>--

Jim Rhodes K0XU
rhodes@evertek.net