[TowerTalk] PROP PITCH ROTATOR !!!

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:49:05 -0500

The power supply in M2's RC2800P prop pitch controller is built-in. You
can tell it when you pick it up.  It runs 33 volts DC at 12 amps, unless
an optional output voltage is specified.  This takes care of a certain
amount of expected line voltage drop, plus a little extra "spunk" for
motor startup.

However, a stock prop-pitch will not tell the 2800P what it needs to
know to stop and start. It requires the installation of a "counter kit".
This is a reed switch which closes momentarily with every motor
revolution, and has to be installed on the motor. This "sense" line must
be cabled back to the 2800P, which counts the closures to determine it's
position. This is the same method commonly used to calibrate the
positioning on C-band satellite dish actuators.

Calibrating the prop-pitch's motor turns count per 360 degrees rotation
is a pre-installation task which gives a full rotation closure count
which is programmed into the 2800P. The reed closures are counted,
multiplied by 360, and divided by the full rotation count in the
controller to figure degrees turned.

M2 will also take your prop pitch, install the sensor, and a welded
precision mounting system for their monster mast clamp on the top, for a
price of course.  The result is a very flexible and controllable system
built around one of the most durable reduction motors ever built.

Regards, Guy
Apex, NC