[TowerTalk] extending height of USTower MA550MDP

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:32:08 -1000

Subject: Extending height of USTower MA550MDP

Steve,

Have a look at the photos of my MA550 with a mast
atop:  20 foot mast purchased with the 550 from
US Tower.  It is pulled up about 15 feet,  so 5 feet still
down in the top section.  Antenna on top is a Force
12,  C4.  Boom of the beam is at about 65 feet;  that
is the 550 top is about 50 feet up,  plus the length
of mast which the crane pulled up after the C4 was
mounted.  You can see photos of the entire tower
set up and mast pull up at:

http://www.karc.net/Activities/Photokh7m.htm

There are two "set bolts" at the top of the MA550 top
section;  these are provided specifically to set a
mast in place.  However,  I also added two
2" muffler clamps as added insurance that the mast
would stay up,  hi.

When the trade winds kick up over 30 mph or so,
I do lower the tower using the motorized winch.
Has worked well for the bit more than a year this
has been set up.

But,  be sure you use a real mast;  not water pipe!!

73,  Jim,  KH7M