[TowerTalk] Weak Link in Guy System?

bob puharic wf3h@ptd.net
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 02:03:59 +0000

ray reed wrote:

>   I am laying out parts for installing Rohn 45 tower 100' high.  Details for
> 90 MPH 100' are 1/4" at 91' and 3/16" at 61' and 31'. From the AnchorData a
> Rod No. of 303 is given.
>   The 1/4" EHS is rated at 6400# and the 3/16 at 3900# break strength.
> The Rod 303 allowable load is only 7,330 #.
>
>   If all three guys are connected to the single Rod, it would seem to be
> greatly overloaded.  Yet I have never heard of a Rod breaking,

I know at K3ANS he had a rod break on an 85' tower with 10 and 15 meter beams.
His anchor arrangement was to have rods anchored in an elevated section of
concrete about 3X3 foot. The rod weathered over time and snapped. A quick call
to his contractor brought a steel brace to re-anchor the tower. Since I do the
work up on the tower, I was glad I wasn't there when it let go!