[TowerTalk] Weak Link in Guy System?

Lonberg, Hank Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:41:20 -0800

 Ray:

If you look at the Rohn drawing CB70478 R1. Guying Details for 40'-160' 45G
Towers 90 MPH Basic Wind Speed (No Ice). In the Table at the lower left it
lists for a 100' tower a anchor reaction of 3280 pounds horizontal and 2840
pounds vertical. The vector sum of these reactions which are the sum of all
the guy forces at the anchor is 4340 pounds. This value is the total of all
the guy forces acting on the anchor. This value is based on Rohn's noted
wind load areas and 90 mph wind velocity. 4340 pounds is less than the
allowable working load of the GAC303 anchor which is 7330 pounds. It seems
to me that all is ok how about you?

Hank Lonberg P.E. / KR7X

-----Original Message-----
From: ray reed
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Sent: 11/17/00 4:55 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weak Link in Guy System?

  I am laying out parts for installing Rohn 45 tower 100' high.  Details
for
90 MPH 100' are 1/4" at 91' and 3/16" at 61' and 31'. From the
AnchorData a
Rod No. of 303 is given.
  The 1/4" EHS is rated at 6400# and the 3/16 at 3900# break strength.
The Rod 303 allowable load is only 7,330 #.

  If all three guys are connected to the single Rod, it would seem to be

greatly overloaded.  Yet I have never heard of a Rod breaking, but have
heard of numerous guy wires breaking.  I am puzzled as it, would seem
the
Rod would be the week link when connected to the 3 guys.
  Do I need to go to the 3455 with 17,670 at twice the cost ($57 vs
$110)each or is the 303 safe as Rohn specifies?
Ray KB5DO