[TowerTalk] liquid tape

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:40:51 EST

In a message dated 11/20/00 2:56:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
n2tk@earthlink.net writes:

> Home Depot has a product from 3M called Electrical Coating". Is that the
>  same as liquid electrical tape? Want to use it to coat the insulators on a
>  Force12 antenna.

    No, they're different. Liquid Electrical Tape is the name of the product
(it's UV resistant, waterproof, etc.) and is available at Home Depot.

    What you've found is ScotchKote which is an electrical coating. Its
primary application is buried electrical connections but is sometimes used
for outdoor connections. It's drawback is that it will flake off in a couple
of years due to UV breakdown. The LET will last for years in the same
environment. My advice is to use the LET.

    Apply the product over at least two wraps of Scotch 33 or 88 tape and
you'll have a virtually bombproof joint. LET over tape is the only thing I've
found that'll weatherproof big joints like rotator connectors (i.e. Orion,
T2X, etc.). I also get colors other than black; painting black on black
electrical tape makes it impossible to see what you've coated and what you
haven't. Using red or green shows the obvious missed spots.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products