[TowerTalk] Data on attenuation by trees? reply de KØFF

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:23:10 -0500

At 10:19 AM 11/22/00 -0500, Jerry Keller wrote:
>I, too, live in the woods now. (Luckily, I also live on top of a pretty good
>hill.)  It never really mattered much to me in any previous QTH, but I've
>always heard that RF absorption by deciduous trees varies from summer to
>winter, depending on the density and height of the surrounding forest, and
>the moisture content of the leaves. I have no idea how measurements that
>would account meaningfully for all the variables could be taken, but it's
>such an obvious question that somebody somewhere must have tried sometime.

I'm relatively sure that the studies were done in the context of the war in
Vietnam, when the operational requirement for HF communications through
various amounts of vegetation was pretty critical.  I think it was also in
that period when someone actually developed a device for DRIVING a tree as
an antenna at HF, using some sort of coupling collar.  Let's hear it for
DARPA!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database