[TowerTalk] New Tower .. How? zs6arf@telkomsa.net

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:02:17 -0500

At 07:50 PM 11/29/00 +0200, ZS6ARF wrote:
>New tower consists of two triangular sections of 6 meters each (+/-64.5
>feet),  (galvanized pipe) to give 12 meters (+/- 129 feet)

Those feet to meters conversions are clearly incorrect by a factor of 3 -
what's the real height?

>Have a commercially designed cage as well as the two hinged T-sections for
>the tower to be connected to the base.
>I gather it can be freestanding as no connections for guides. Intend putting
>YAESU 1000DX rotator with 6 element Log Periodic (ATN)
>
>PLEASE give me guidance on:
>
>1)    The concrete base (what is the correct mixture and method of pouring,
>will one square meter do (+/- 11 square feet)
>2)    Best method to ground tower
>3)    The tower legs fits into the three pegs of the bottom T-section and
>then gets bolted.  Will that be adequate.
>4)    If the two 6 meter sections is connected on the ground and then to the
>T-section, what is the best way to lift it up.  (i.e  block and tackle)
>5)    What is the minimum angle and height up the tower to use a block and
>tackle.
>5)    When lifting the completed tower, at some point it will take strain on
>the connecting part of the two 6 meter sections.
>       These will also just be bolted. Should I take pre-cautionary action
>here or should the legs be able to take the strain.
>6)    Anything missed.

IMO you are  not giving even the professional engineers in our group nearly
enough data to go by.  Just for example, you do not mention how large the
tower is on a side, whether it is tapered, whether it is triangular or
square, diameter of the legs, etc.  If the two sections are of the same
cross-section, then I would bet that it is not intended to be
free-standing, and will need guying.  The fact that you find no
pre-established guy points on the two sections means nothing, because on
Rohn guyed towers, for example, the guy brackets are separate assemblies.

Rather than try to do this by remote control, you really either need to
contact the manufacturer or hire a local professional engineer who can see,
measure, calculate and advise you on the spot.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at