[TowerTalk] base section

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:05:52 EST

In a message dated 11/30/00 6:08:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, k1my@nlis.net
writes:

> I understand that for a fixed tower (rotating or stationary antennas) that
>  a pier pin is the strongest solution; but what about a rotating tower? Is
>  it a logical conclusion that the best way to go is with a buried section
>  because of the potential rotational moment?

    Where's your bottom bearing going to be? Is it going to go on a section?

    If your question is whether the bottom (non-rotating) part of the tower
should be a pier pin or buried section, I don't know if it makes much
difference. I think the best scenario is to have the bottom bearing just
above a set of guys; that way there's not much rotational torque below the
bearing. A big rotating tower generates a lot of torsion on the tower as it
winds up to start and coasts to a stop.

    If it was my tower, I'd go for a buried section - I don't like messing
with a pier pin and temporary guys.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech