[TowerTalk] feedline confusion

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:52:39 -0400

I for one am thoroughly confused when I take the last few days' discussion
and compare it with that of a few weeks ago.

Freely acknowledging that I lack the necessary EE education, can anyone who
has info answer these two questions?

Assume that you run a 75 ohm feedline between antenna feedpoint and shack.
Further assume that the antenna and the transceiver are both 50-ohm
critters, and that an attempt has been made to trim the 75-ohm feedline to
even multiples of a half-wavelength on the highest band (e.g. 28.0 mhz).

1.  What is the highest SWR that will be seen by the transceiver on a
50-ohm instrument, assuming that the (mythical) antenna retains a 50 ohm+/-
j0 feedpoint impedance, as the operating frequency wanders over 28.0-29.7 MHz?

2.  For a real antenna, will the SWR as seen at the shack ever exceed the
SWR as measured at the feedpoint?  For the moment, ignore transmission line
losses.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database