[TowerTalk] Tower Bolts

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 03:51:55 -0600

Some good and interesting information has been
presented on the bolt topic.  I would like to add my
2 cents of "practical" information on tower bolts.

IMHO, the primary (only?) purpose of the nut on
tower leg bolts is to hold the bolt in the leg.

Do NOT overtighten the nut.  Overtightening the
nut deforms the tower leg, making it VERY
difficult to disassemble the tower when the time
comes.

Perhaps someone has a rule of thumb on how
much to tighten the nuts after they engage the
tower leg.  Of course it will depend on whether
you use fine or coarse threads.  SNUG is good.
MORE is NOT.

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.