[TowerTalk] Open Wire Feed

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:10:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/00 10:52:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, aa4lr@radio.org
writes:
 On 10/1/00 6:19 PM, K7HPH at k7hph@xmission.com wrote:

 >I have an 80 Meter Dipole fed with 450 ohm ladder line. At my
 >new house, I must run my coax rotor cable, etc. through a 20 foot 3 inch
 >conduit to get to the shack. I am thinking that I need to terminate the
 >ladder line to a balun designed for such applications and run the coax
 >output through the conduit to the antenna tuner to run multi-bands on the
 >dipole.

 This is known as a remote balun. I have a similar installation at my
 house. It works great. A few notes:

 1) Use only solid dielectric coax for the tuner to remote balun run.
 Since you may have a complex impedance on this run of coax, it is
 important to keep the voltage breakdown of the coax high. Foam insulated
 coax has a much lower voltage breakdown. I use RG-213 for this run.

 2) Use the shortest length practical for the coax run. Again, with the
 complex impedance, you're going to incur greater loss in the coax. Keep
 it short to minimize losses.

 3) Use a big balun. Typical toroidial balun cores can get lossy when
 dealing with complex impedances. Don't fret about the turns ratio -- with
 a complex impedance, a 4:1 or 1:1 works equally well. Use a core that is
 much bigger than you would for a resistive load. I run 100 watts, and use
 a 2 kW balun. use a 5 kW design for a full gallon. Check your
 installation on multiple bands with power. You shouldn't see any
 appreciable heating on any band.

 While the remote balun doesn't have the same low-loss characteristics of
 an all-open-wire installation, it is much easier to route the
 transmission lines into the structure, and retains many of the advantages.

 Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org

    Bill: Excellent suggestions.  However what is the source of validity that
solid dielectric has a higher voltage break down than foam coax?  It might be
right but foam is at least half air in the dielectric and the center
conductor is only about .02" larger.  Has anyone actually conducted the
proper test on this?

Running ladder line in say 3" PVC tubing with centering insulators or spacers
through walls works real well and has the least loss of all.  I eliminate
baluns where ever I can.  There are some porcelain 3/8"x6" insulators I've
run #10 insulated wire through in walls many times.  6" of wood around open
wire line is no big deal.  It's just another long insulator.  Just keep it
away from metal.  K7GCO