[TowerTalk] KLM Vertical

ABowenN4OO abowen@nettally.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:58:21 -0400

At 06:31 AM 10/3/2000 -0700, W7ZR wrote:

>Anyone know of a KLM 160-80 vertical?  A friend told me KLM made such an
>antenna.  Any out there for sale?  Any information from past or current users?
=====================
KLM made an SSV 80-40-15 which could be base loaded for 160. It consisted
of a tripod of 2" OD tubing which extended to 30 ft. Additional tubing
extended from one leg going through a series of size reductions to the last
piece which was 3/8" diameter and was adjustable. Overall height was around
68 feet.

The other 2 legs were insulated from the "long" leg at the center and top
and were fed in parallel on 40 and 15. Tuning on 40 was very broad,
covering about 6.5 to 8 mhz according to the spec sheet.

KLM offered a coil of 3" dia., #10, 4 TPI for base loading on 160. The
antenna would not be very efficient on 160 unless an extensive ground
system was installed. Even then, the efficiency would be down 3-6 db
compared to a full size vertical (maybe more), depending on the length and
quantity of radials.

I do not think that KLM produces this antenna now.

I have one of these antennas, obtained in a swap a few years ago. I changed
the tubing schedule of the top section to stiffen it up. I also added 3 guy
lines at the 45 ft level to minimize the sway of the upper element. In a
stiff breeze, the original element would bend almost horizontal.

I used mine on 80M, but never attempted 160 since I already have a shunt
fed tower with 60 radials. For the KLM, I put down 60, 65 ft radials. The
feed impedance was fairly low, so an L network matched it to 50 ohms. I
worked everything I could hear with the antenna.

A recent lightning hit reduced the L network to small pieces of #12 wire
and chunks of an old style, large mica capacitor. In addition, the
lightning current welded the male/female connectors together at the antenna
and also at the RCS8V remote switching relay. The PC board in the relay box
was about 60 percent destroyed and contacts on 2 relays were welded
together. The antenna had a burn spot about 18" down from the tip but there
was no other damage. The next iteration of this antenna will have a spark
gap device connected to the ground system.

INK N4OO