[TowerTalk] U Bolts

Mark . n1lo@hotmail.com
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 08:29:49 EDT

Greetings gang;
  Mike makes a good point here. From what I gathered in archived posts here,
the tried-and-true solution to stainless thread galling is to use grade blue
'removeable' thread locking compound, available in most store hardware
aisles. In addition to locking the nut well on the threads, it also helps
prevent galling during disassembly.
It's also prudent, as others have already pointed out, not to overtighten
hardware. Screw threads have tremendous mechanical advantage, especially
fine threads, and even more so when the threads are lubricated with
anti-seize or fresh thread locking compound. You must take your cues from
the closure of lockwashers and the parts being fastened.
It's particularly easy to deform or crush aluminum tubing with U-bolts.

BTW, when I purchased my Force 12 C-3E, I specified the all stainless
option, which gets you all stainless element-to-boom harware. If you are
considering a Force-12 antenna, I would highly recommend this option ($35 in
1999) to reduce your maintenance. The boom-to-mast clamps are still
zinc-plated steel, and these have begun to rust after 1 year, in the area
where the u-bolt wrpas around and touches my aluminum mast.
I highly recommend a protective spray of cold galvanizing compound on all
new plated harware upon initial assembly, including Rohn-supplied tower leg
bolts.

cheers,

--...MARK_N1LO...--

<< If you end up using SS clamps, make sure you use some kind of anti-seize
compound like Molybednum Disulfide on the threads. SS gauls (seizes) very
easily.  Once this happens, you will have to use a hack saw to get the
clamps off. 73 de Mike, W4EF.>>