[TowerTalk] Converting a vee to a top-loaded vertical

Michael Tope Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 21:08:16 -0700

Hi Dick,

I used an interesting variation on this idea at my QTH in Florida. I put the center
of an 80/40 meter parallel dipole in the top of a 60' pine tree. Near the base of the
tree, I placed a modified  Dentron "Super Tuner" about 8 feet off the ground. The
Super Tuner was outfitted with a couple of relays which would bypass the tuner
for 40 and 80 meters. For 160 meter operations, the relays would short the antenna
coax lead's center conductor and shield together and route the signal thru the T
network (the output SO-239 on the tuner was floated on a piece of G-10 PCB material).
Originally I fed this against a couple of 1/4 wave elevated radials (about 10' feet high).
Performance was mediocre at best.  I then acquired about 3000' of #14 stranded
copper from Home Depot. I laid out around 25 ~1/4 wave radials along the ground
under the "T" antenna - performance improved dramatically. After the change I finally
managed a QSO with 4X4NJ for worked all continents on 160 with 100 watts.

BTW, the relay was switched from the shack thru the coax to the tuner using a
couple of RF chokes I picked up from RadioWare.