[TowerTalk] length of radials on tower

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 22:49:55 -0500

I am loading a 68' tiltover with a 12' extension, tribander and 2meter beam,
on 160 with shunt feed.  I only have two ground rods at this time--and for
all of last year.

I just bought 800' of #10 off ebay last week for a song.  It showed up this
week and now I intend to stitch it in around the tower.

The site is not free and clear by any means.  A cement slab to the east
about 45 feet away.  A metal building to the SE about 55 feet away (that's
the shack).  The wife's gardens (touch em and die!!!) are to the SW.

I am going to place the radials evenly around the tower the best I can.
Stuff is clearly in the way and I'll just have to do the best I can.

I am taking opinions before I start -- should I use polyphasor's site
suggests a minimum of 50' run and a maximum of 70' foot runs for lightning
protection.  I am thinking of running some 50' runs and 100' runs accross
the guys (which are being loaded on 80 meters in a sorta 4 element sloper
arrangement).

Any comments before a screw up my yard?

Any help is appreciated.

Ford-N0OQW