[TowerTalk] Moving HDX689 Tower

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 07 Oct 2000 07:45:48 -0700

I have made a deal to purchase a used HDX689 tower. It will be moved
from Reno,NV to Spokane,Wa. The plan is to rent a 24 ft straight van for
the job. I am concerned about how to do this without damaging the van or
the tower. I believe the weight is about 3000 pounds. There will be
nothing else in the van to be concerned about. I am thinking of making a
crate around the tower using 2x4 lumber and using rope to secure it to
the van tie downs near the floor. I am concerned about the strength of
the tiedown points among other things. Fortunately, the travel route is
not mountainous. Has anyone done this type of move and does anyone have
any tips on how to do it safely? The seller says he has equipment to
load the tower and I have a spot to unload it with a dirt bank at the
right height. I plan to slide it off and set it on railroad ties using
my John Deere 850 tractor 3 point hitch.
  I moved a much lighter TX472 up here from Texas using a similar van
with no problems.The van was full of other stuff and the tower was kept
in place by the surrounding objects.

tnx, Dan, N5AR