[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Damage Pictures

n7ws@azstarnet.com n7ws@azstarnet.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:42:16 -0700

At 01:44 PM 10/10/00 -0600, Gary McDuffie, Sr. wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:06:12 -0700, Stan or Patricia Griffiths wrote:
>
>> N9IWW has made space available on a web site for viewing the
>> Rohn Tower Damage pictures I mentioned in a recent post.
>
>Stan,
>
>It is clear from looking at those pictures that the welds were bad in
>the first place.  Any welder will tell you that the rest of the tower
>should have failed before the weld if it was done right.  It appears the
>welds didn't even RESIST, much less hold.
>
>As I said in our earlier mail, I think there is much more of this to
>come.
>
>Gary

It does look like Firestone--whoops--Rohn is making some bad welds.  I went
out and looked at four old sections of 25G I have laying in the yard. I
acquired all of these used from various places at various times.  I saw
only one broken weld and that was on a top horizontal rung that had the
crap beaten out of it, probably in trying to separate it from another section.

However in looking at the '25 sections and the 45G foldover that is
standing up, I notice that a lack of a weld bead in the inside of the
sections seems to be pretty typical. The "fillet" is mostly zinc and I can
see how it could crack and in some cases give the impression of a broken
weld.  That said, a crack in the zinc is a good place for corrosion to
begin, so it's not a good situation either.

Looks like I should hang on to these old pieces <g>.

73,

Wes