[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Damage Pictures

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:49:03 -0500

Just another $0.02

The selection of welding rod can make a significant impact on a weld's
ability to hold.  If the worker selected the wrong rod because it was too
far to walk to the crib, that could explain a batch of bad welds.  Likewise,
a rod tube (a collection of unused welding rods) could have been mis marked
or anything.

Likewise, the metal tubes or the rod material could also be at fault.  The
Rockwell rating of the metal is not observable from a picture.  It takes the
proper instruments to determine if a batch of improper hardness was used.
In the event that the incorrect ingot was selected at the mill, the whole
batch of 2000# tubes could be bad.  I hope they can trace them down if this
is the case.

Before you guys judge Rohn's QC, let them do their job.  It is fairly common
practice (although sloppy) to accept the mill's rating on the metals.
Likewise, a welding rod tube labeled improperly would easily slip through
most QC departments.  I hope they choose to inspect the welds, test the
hardness of the materials used, etc.  They should get back to Stan as to the
results.  I hope to see the response from Rohn.

Ford-N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com