[TowerTalk] KLM Balun Phasing Marks

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:34:00 +0100

        I have 3 new KLM 4:1 baluns purchased with KLM-610 Monobanders
last fall.  While doing some preventative maintenance, I noticed one of the
connection studs broke clean at the outside of the nut against the PVC case
(so there is no way to make another connection).  I also have an old KLM
Balun circa 1980's which I can use as a substitute if I can determine the
proper phasing connection.  Note...both baluns are the same construction with
a PVC tube and end caps...not the old old (skinny) baluns from the 1970's.

        Looking at the newer baluns with the label on top as you look from the
connector end, the phasing mark is on the right stud.  However, on the older
balun looking the same way (label on top viewed from the connector), the
phasing mark is on the left stud.  Does anyone know if KLM was consistent with
their phasing marks over the years?  Has anyone mixed new and old baluns?  I
am tempted to assume the phasing mark is correct but it bothers me that it is
in a different position relative to the label.  M2 says there is no simple way
to tell the correct orientation without taking the baluns apart and visually
inspecting both.

        Which brings me to my next question!  Has anyone disassembled one of
these baluns?  It appears you can do so by undoing the locknut on the coax
connector and knocking the end cap off.  This may be the easiest way to
check for proper phase of the two baluns but I would like to hear from anyone
who may have done this before I start tearing both apart.

        Better yet, does anyone have a better idea?  I suppose I could remount
the antennas and check for gain when the two lower ones are selected but am
open to any ideas.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV