[TowerTalk] Re: Steel Wool For Deburring

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:55:05 -0400

On 10/4/00 20:40, N4CW@aol.com at N4CW@aol.com wrote:

>Good point...I'd forgotten (I do a lot of that lately...) that I'd used the
>plastic gritty pads for furniture stripping or something like that...they
>hold up pretty well, too, and are just as flexible as steel wool.

Scotchbrite -- highly recommended.

>The thought occurs to me  that steel wool particles in the No-Alox
>suspension
>might not fare badly...they conduct, and the goop might just keep them from
>rusting.

Perhaps, but you can't stop the redox reaction due to dissimilar metals
this way.

>As for the dissimar metals thing, I just dunno. It doesn't seem to
>be an issue with stainless hose clamps (short term...).

Stainless is different from ordinary steel or iron. It doesn't undergo
dissimilar metal reactions with aluminum. Indeed, it is very hard to get
it to corrode.

Hmm. Stainless steel wool?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales