[TowerTalk] What is 120' of Rohn 55G worth?

K9ze@aol.com K9ze@aol.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:46:44 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/00 10:56:26 PM Central Daylight Time, djl@andlev.com
writes:

<< I am looking at a used tower.  120' of Rohn 55G with all the fixen's (guys,
 mast, thrust bearing, etc.).  The base stays in the ground, so I have to
 provide that.  It will be on the ground, ready for me to pick up.

 Any sense of what the fair market value of a used 120' Rohn 55G tower is in
 good condition?

             ***dan, K6IF (ex. N6BZA) >>
----------------
Dan,
           I've purchased both 25 and 55 used towers the past few years and
from my limited experience, it seems as though most Rohn towers in good
condition , command around 50% of their cost as new.  25 is usually a little
under that, and 55 a little over in most cases.  This is a Very General(!!)
guideline.  It seems too often, that the buyer gives little thought to the
cost of all the hardware involved with putting up a tower - - - especially
when it comes to something like Rohn 55, i.e. - torque bars, rotor plates,
turnbuckles, work platforms, guy wire/Phillystran, etc.  Bottom line, is that
I believe it would be an outstanding buy, if you were able to purchase a
complete tower as you've described for around 40% of whatever new cost was;
and a very fair price at around 50-60% of new cost.   BTW, if you're not
going to use one of the existing 10' sections in the concrete base, I believe
I only paid around $100 for a new Rohn 55 , 5' section from Texas Towers.

Good luck with the tower.  They sure do open new windows to the hobby.

Ron, K9ZE