[TowerTalk] Monoband Yagi stacking heights

Jim Reisert ad1c@contesting.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:37:20 -0400

At 10:04 AM 10/15/00 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
 >More comments below.  N4KG
 >
 >On Sat, 14 Oct 2000  Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> writes:
 >>
 >> At 07:47 AM 10/14/00 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
 >> >Coverage of high angles drops off 3 degrees
 >> >for each 1 degree you pick up with increasing
 >> >height which means that the higher you go
 >> >the LESS coverage you have.  For the really
 >> >low angles, I like 120 ft for the high bands.
 >> >At this height, the SECOND lobe is also
 >> >at useful waveangles for daytime propagation.
 >> >Fill in the hole with another antenna at 40 to 60 ft.
 >>
 >> I think this generalization is maybe a little too general, and much
 >> truer for the lower high bands than for 10m.  Just as an example,
 >> my C-3E  at 100 ft. on 28 mHz shows lobes at 40, 26, 16 and 5
 >> degrees, with the  highest angle lobe only 4 dB down from the
 >> lowest.  By contrast, on 20m the  same antenna has forward lobes
 >> at 10 and 32 degrees, with the high-angle  one only 1.42 dB down.
 >
 >> The big problem here is the deep null between  the two lobes,
 >> right where you might need gain to run Europeans in the
 >> afternoon.
 >>
 >> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR
 >>

 >EXACTLY my point.  I have been preaching that a LOW
 >antenna is best for Europe and Africa on ALL of the high
 >bands during mid-day for the last 20 years.

But this is exactly where I'm differing with you, Tom.  I think your
statement is much truer on 20 than on 10 meters, at least to Europe.

It's clear from modeling that the North-South path from the States is a
very different creature.  You can see some decent propagation modes from
Argentine to the Eastern US at angles in the 30-35 degree range, far higher
than anything that happens to Europe.  Of course, ionization is much higher
over the equator than anywhere else, on average.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at