[TowerTalk] Carolina Windom

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:16:00 -0600

Is the Carolina Windom fed 1/3 of the distance from the end?

I saw an article from the 1950's (Radio and TV News?) that
demonstrated that a wire that is 1/2 WL long at the lowest
frequency of use will exhibit a 300 Ohm feed impedance
at that frequency and all EVEN harmonics.  This type
of antenna has also been reported in QST and CQ. The
pattern of course will depend on the electrical length, i.e.,
it will behave as a halfwave dipole on the lowest frequency,
a 1 WL LW on the second harmonic (4 lobes), a 2 WL LW
on the 4th harmonic (8 lobes, major lobes ~30 degrees
from the wire), and a 4WL LW on the 8th harmonic.
(WL=Wave Length,  LW=Long Wire).  With coax feed
hanging straight down there is NO feedline radiation.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000  "WA9ALS - John" <jfleming@shelbynet.net> writes:

> > A ham has asked me to comment on the Radio Works Carolina
> Windom(cw).  I
> > have one of these, and have used it for a couple of years,
> interchanged with my G5RV and ladderline fed dipole.
> >

> I was afraid this antenna would come up in the thread on vertical
> radiators - HI.  Considering the lengthy discussion about the G5RV,
> surely there will be no end to it regarding the CW!  HI  I'm not sure
> ANYone really
> knows how it works, exactly, but theories absolutely abound and have
> been discussed in other forums.
>
> I have the 265 ft version.  I will only comment that it works great
> (most huge wire antennas would do pretty good).  It's a gangbuster on
> 160M.  I did lose 2 of the "Dedicated Matching Units" (proprietary
balun) -
> ?lightning once, ?unknown the othr time, maybe too much power despite
the
> specs. Depending how it's suspended, it's not easy to use BIG coax to
feed
> it. Radio Works says that you can use RG-58 even at full power, but we
> know that's stretching things a bit.  On my third DMU, I've limited my
> high duty cycle power (RTTY) to 500W and haven't lost another.
(Replacing the
> DMU with a rowboat is tricky!)
>
> Mine initially had a 2:1 SWR EVERYWHERE in the 10-160 ham bands.
> With "age", I now need a tuner on some bands.  FOr the money and space
> considerations, it's a great antenna, especially if you don't run
> too much power or op heavy duty cycle.  I tune mine with the
Nye-Viking.

> IMHO, TT would not be the best forum to get into a looonnng thread
> about whether it radiates vertically or not...  Doubt there's much
proof
> out there!  73

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.