[TowerTalk] MFJ 259B

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:03:37 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/00 1:47:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

>  I recall there was a lot of
>  discussion a couple of years ago about the MFJ-259B, almost all of it good
>  (forget the grid dip meter option).  I'm just looking for a quick
>  "temperature check."  Are people still satisfied?  Have they held up?

    I've used my original version 259 for about 4+ years and have only had
the battery holder fall apart. I'm on my second set of batteries and haven't
had any problems with the whole unit. It's probably been used on 40-50
antennas with great results.

    I'm thinking about getting a later version 259B (is there a C now?) as a
replacement and backup. My research a couple of years ago showed that the
vast majority of hams used the MFJ and the rest used the AEA or Autek. I
wrote a 3-part series on analyzers in my "Up The Tower" column in CQ Contest
magazine. A buck will get you a reprint.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech